We’re making breadcrumbs today.
Annnd we’re making them healthier!
Honestly, is there a better way to use stale bread, or those pesky end pieces that nobody likes? I sure don’t think so.
I got the idea for this post because, well, a few of my upcoming recipes feature them. However, if you’ve never made your own breadcrumbs before, you might just be surprised by how easy they are to make. Seriously, after I show you this you’ll never have a reason to buy breadcrumbs again…promise.
So lets get to the recipe!
Macros (3/4 cup or 75g) will vary though depending on the bread used – I used Schwebels:
138 Calories, 0g Fat, 32g Carbs (10g fiber), 10g Protein
4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints
- 4 Pieces of low-calorie bread (42g)
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (5g)
- ½ Tsp garlic powder
- Toast bread until golden brown, firm, and dry
- Break the toast up into bite sized pieces
- Add the toast and other ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until desired breadcrumb size is achieved
- Dry in a baking sheet for about an hour
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks