I feel like I've been on a recipe "roll" lately. I can't remember being on a hotter streak than this for awesome, awesome recipes. I hope you guys have been feeling the same way too.
Anyways, enough humble bragging.
These double chocolate donuts are unreal. Each time I make a batch of these, "the struggle is real", to not eat all of them. And when I say that, I'm talking about not eating all of them the moment they come out of the oven...not over the course of a few days. However, just incase you do over indulge, don't worry, each donut is only 125 calories.
I honestly believe these baked chocolate donuts rival any fried one I've had. Yes, they are a bit "cakey-er" than your typical fried one, but that's not always such a bad thing. These donuts also have a rich dark chocolate flavor component to them, and that's even more true if you make the chocolate frosting to go on top of them. The bold flavors of the unsweetened cocoa powder are balanced unbelievably well by the sweetness of the sugar substitute though. I guess you could say these donuts are sweet, but not overly sweet, and maybe, that's why they're so addicting.
Have you checked out my YouTube Channel Yet? If not (click here) to see all of my recipes in video form. If you like what you see, don't hesitate to hit the subscribe button!
Macros Per Donut (not including frosting):
125 Calories, 2g Fat, 22g Carbs (4g fiber), 4.5g Protein
Healthy Double Chocolate Donuts
Healthy chocolate donuts!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 Donuts 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- ¼ Cup (50g) sugar substitute
- ¾ Cup (90g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ Cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ Tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- ⅓ Cup (80ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Whole eggs
- 2 Tbsps (40g) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 ½ Tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsps (15g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsps (24g) sugar substitute
- Apprx. 2 Tbsps water
- Add all dry ingredients to a medium-large sized bowl and mix until well combined
- Add all wet ingredients to a small bowl and combine
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix until smooth, chocolatey consistency develops
- Coat a donut tray with with non-stick baking spray and add the batter
- Bake at 350 Degrees | 177 Celsius for 10-12 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack
- Once cooled completely add your frosting and sprinkles
*Macros do NOT include frosting or sprinkles.
*Better to slightly undercook these if storing them for a couple of days because the will "dry-out" over the course of a couple days.
- Serving Size: 1 Donut
- Calories: 125
- Fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 4.5