This homemade KFC bowl is finger-licking good! It's everything you love about KFC famous bowls, but made entirely from scratch in the comfort of your kitchen!
I don't eat fast food often, but when I do, KFC is my go-to. The famous bowl is my jam, and to me, it's the ultimate comfort food meal. Since I love it so much, I had to try making a copycat version, and I think it turned out amazing!
My homemade recipe has buttery, cheesy mashed potatoes topped with sweet corn and golden brown chicken nuggets, all covered in brown gravy. You get all of that in each bite for a flavor combination you just won't find in any other recipe!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Better than the restaurant. This copycat KFC bowl seriously comes out looking and tasting just as good, honestly, even better than the original.
It's so easy to make. As I just mentioned, you don't have to do any hands-on cooking for this recipe. So it's perfect if you don't cook often or just want to make an easy dinner.
You know what you're getting. You never know what unnecessary ingreidents are added to fast food, so you can feel good knowing exactly what's in this homemade bowl.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Potatoes- I prefer russet potatoes, but you could also use red potatoes or Yukon golds. You can also use premade packaged potatoes and just microwave them to warm.
- Cream cheese- make sure to use softened cream cheese so it's easier to mix.
- Butter- unsalted or salted works.
- Sweet corn- canned corn or frozen corn will both work.
- Cheddar cheese- for extra rich, cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Brown gravy- my keto gravy works great.
- Chicken nuggets- your favorite store-bought frozen chicken nuggets.
- Salt and pepper- a pinch of each to taste.
- Garlic powder- a must for delicious mashed potatoes.
How To Make Copycat KFC Famous Bowls
1. Cook the chicken nuggets: Prepare the chicken nuggets according to package instructions.
2. Boil the potatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and then add the peeled and diced potatoes to it. Simmer the potatoes for 12-15 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Remove them from the water and drain. Put the potatoes back in the pot and mash with a potato masher or two forks.
3. Make mashed potatoes: To the potatoes, add the cream cheese, shredded cheese, melted butter, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully combined and smooth.
4. Assemble and serve: Add some of the mashed potatoes to a bowl, top with the corn and chicken nuggets, and finish it off with the gravy. Enjoy!
My Pro Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Instead of chicken nuggets, you can swap them for popcorn chicken if you want.
- If I'm feeding a big crowd, I like to layer the mashed potatoes, corn, and chicken in a greased casserole dish and warm everything at 350°F for 5 minutes. Then I'll top the whole thing with gravy right before serving. That way, everything stays warm, and all I have to do is just scoop and serve.
- Make a low carb bowl! Make my cauliflower mashed potatoes, keto chicken nuggets, and keto gravy.
- Add extra seasonings to the mashed potatoes for more flavor, like onion powder, paprika, or red chili flakes for a spicy kick.
How To Store and Reheat Leftovers
In the fridge: I prefer to store any leftovers in separate airtight containers in the fridge for about 3 days. That way, I can assemble the bowls fresh when I'm ready to eat.
In the freezer: Again, I think the best way to store everything is in separate freezer-safe airtight containers or freezer-safe bags for up to 3 months.
Reheating: My favorite way to reheat the leftovers is to layer everything in a casserole dish and bake it at 350°F in the oven for 15 minutes or until warmed. I'll just microwave the gravy for about 30 seconds and then pour it on top.
More Recipes To Try Next
- Chicken enchilada soup
- Baked cream of mushroom chicken
- Buffalo chicken soup
- Grilled chicken margherita
- French onion chicken
- 3 cups Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 can brown gravy
- 2 cups nuggets
- salt and pepper
- Prepare the chicken nuggets according to package directions.
- Bring a large pot to a boil, and then add the diced potatoes. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes become fork-tender. Remove the water and drain. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or two forks.
- Add cream cheese, cheddar, butter, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to the potatoes. Mix until smooth and combined.
- Serve some of the mashed potatoes in a bowl with corn, chicken nuggets, and gravy on top.
- For a quicker recipe, use instant mashed potatoes and microwave them to warm.
- To serve to a crowd, you can layer the mashed potatoes in a casserole dish, top it with the chicken nuggets and corn, and then pour the gravy on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g