This cream of mushroom chicken recipe is one of my favorite meals for busy weeknights. It's so flavorful and hearty and makes enough for the whole family. Plus, it couldn't be easier to make!
Table of Contents
My Take On Mushroom Chicken
Since I've had another kid, I don't have as much time to make dinner. I've been trying to find ways to make delicious recipes easier, and that's just what this chicken one does.
It's basically all hands-off cooking, but it turns out tasting like it took hours to make!
I elevated the classic cream of mushroom soup flavor by adding a few secret ingredients to season the chicken. The chicken bakes in the soup until it's extra tender and juicy. To make the recipe even tastier, I top the chicken with some shredded mozzarella cheese to give it a slightly crisp, melty crust. It's so delicious!
Ever since I made this cream of mushroom chicken for the first time, it's been a staple dinner at the Duff household. I've even been making it when we host our friends, and the compliments have been pouring in!
I like to serve it with these keto cheddar bay biscuits to soak up the delicious sauce, but the flavor is so versatile you can really serve it with anything you want!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's truly easy to make. The only hands-on work you'll have to do is season the chicken and layer everything in your baking dish. The oven takes over from there, so you'll be done preparing it to bake in minutes!
It's a one-pan dish. Everything you'll need to make this recipe requires just one dish. That means not only is prep time kept to a minimum, but so is cleanup. Perfect when you don't have a lot of time!
So much flavor. This mushroom baked chicken has a mix of simple ingredients that transform into a crazy flavorful dish. The mushroom sauce and juicy chicken create a balance of flavors and textures that'll keep you coming back for more.
- Chicken breasts- you'll want to cut them in half lengthwise.
- Garlic powder- to add a savory flavor to the chicken that goes so well with the soup.
- Italian seasoning- for seasoning the chicken and add even more flavor to the dish.
- Cream of mushroom soup- for the creamy sauce.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese- to add a delicious cheesy element.
How To Make Cream of Mushroom Baked Chicken
Step 1: Prepare the chicken. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180ºC) and grease a baking dish or casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place the sliced chicken pieces side-by-side in the prepared dish. Season them with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some pepper.
Step 2: Add the soup. Pour the cream of mushroom soup on top of the chicken and make sure that each piece is coated completely. Then top each piece of chicken evenly with the mozzarella cheese.
Step 3: Bake. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. If you want to brown the cheese and make it crispy, remove the foil after baking and broil for a few minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
What Can I Serve With This Recipe?
My Pro Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Pound the chicken if it's too thin to slice so all of the pieces are even.
- You can also make this recipe with cream of chicken soup or any other type of condensed soup.
- Pan sear the chicken before baking it to get the outside nice and crispy and lock in its juicy flavor.
- Add sautéed sliced mushrooms for a more mushroomy flavor.
- Serve with egg noodles or brown rice for an even heartier dish.
How I Recommend Storing and Reheating This Recipe
In the fridge: Store any leftovers in an airtight container or in the baking dish with a lid on and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
In the freezer: Allow the chicken to cool completely, then transfer them to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months.
Reheating: I've found the best way to reheat the chicken is to transfer it back to a baking dish and bake it at 350°F for 15 minutes. For a quicker method, you can microwave the chicken in 20-second increments, but I don't really like the flavor and texture it gives it.
More Chicken Recipes To Try Next
- Crustless chicken pot pie
- French onion chicken
- Chicken cutlets
- Italian baked chicken
- Baked thin sliced chicken breasts
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180ºC).
- Place the chicken pieces side-by-side in a casserole dish and season them with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some pepper.
- Pour the cream of mushroom soup over the top and ensure each piece of chicken is coated, then top each piece of chicken with the mozzarella.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. If desired, uncover and broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 14.6gSaturated Fat: 4.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 980mgCarbohydrates: 9.5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2.1gProtein: 24.7g