This grilled yogurt marinated chicken will become your new go-to chicken recipe! The succulent chicken is seasoned with garlic, earthy spices, and lemon for one delicious flavor. Then it's grilled to perfection with a lightly charred outside and juicy inside.
The easy yogurt chicken marinade takes regular old chicken to new heights of deliciousness. The chicken becomes succulent and tender, and the bright and savory flavors of the spices and garlic sink right into the meat. Finished off on the grill for a touch of smokiness, it's seriously so good and truly one of the juiciest and most flavorful chicken recipes you can try!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Recipe
The marinade. The secret to this recipe is all in the marinade. Greek yogurt contains lactic acid, which gently tenderizes the chicken. Unlike the usual citrus juice marinades, it won't break down the meat too fast and turn it to mush if marinated too long. Whether you marinate your Greek yogurt chicken for 2 hours or 12 hours, it will always come out fantastic.
Simple to make. It doesn't get any easier than this recipe. Just combine all the marinade ingredients together, add in the chicken, and grill whenever you're ready. So fast and simple, yet the results never fail to impress.
Versatile. This lemon garlic Greek yogurt marinated chicken goes well with rice, grilled veggies, my protein pasta salad, salad, or really anything you can think of. It's also delicious shredded and added to sandwiches or pita wraps.
Foolproof. The yogurt marinade always results in super juicy and tender chicken, even when using leaner cuts like chicken breasts.
Ingredients You'll Need
- Greek yogurt - the star of this recipe. Gently tenderizes the chicken while keeping it ultra juicy and adds a slight tanginess that keeps you coming back for more.
- Olive oil - retains moisture and helps carry the marinade flavors into the chicken.
- Lemon juice - aids in tenderizing and adds a touch of acidity.
- Lemon zest - brings the sweet lemon flavor.
- Minced garlic - for well-rounded savoriness.
- Ginger powder - adds a refreshing pungency that balances out the richness of the chicken and the earthy spices.
- Ground coriander - has a bright, citrusy note.
- Ground cumin - for a deeply savory, earthy note.
- Paprika powder - adds color and a sweet peppery taste.
- Salt and pepper - enhance all those delicious flavors.
- Chicken breasts or thighs- use boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast fillets. Both will have juicy and flavorful results thanks to the Greek yogurt marinade.
How To Make Yogurt Marinated Chicken
1. Make the yogurt marinade: In a bowl, combine the plain yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, ginger powder, coriander powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until well combined.
2. Marinate the chicken: Coat the chicken evenly in the yogurt marinade and keep it in a covered container. Transfer it to the refrigerator and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight.
3. Grill the chicken: Once you're ready to cook your chicken, preheat the grill to 425°F (220°C). Place the marinated chicken on the grill and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165°F at the thickest part. Then, serve your grilled chicken warm with your choice of sides, and enjoy!
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Dry the chicken completely with paper towels before adding to the marinade.
- If you have the time, definitely opt to marinate your chicken overnight. It gives the meat a chance to tenderize even more and lets all those flavorful spices infuse into the chicken.
- Pound your chicken breasts or thighs to an even thickness before cooking for consistent doneness throughout.
- Depending on the size of the chicken, it may take shorter or longer to cook, so make sure to check it with a meat thermometer.
- After cooking, give the grilled chicken a few minutes to rest so it can reabsorb all those flavorful juices and stay super succulent when sliced.
Variations To Try
- Dice and skewer boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs and coat them in the yogurt marinade for the most delicious grilled chicken skewers.
- To make this recipe with bone-in chicken, preheat the grill to 400°F (200°C) and cook for 15-25 minutes or until you reach an internal temperature of 165°F at the thickest part.
- You can also make this recipe in the oven. Preheat it to 425°F (220°C) and bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through, then broil for a couple of minutes for more browning.
- Add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the marinade for a bit of heat.
How To Store and Reheat Yogurt Marinated Chicken
In the fridge: Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days. It makes the best chicken meal prep with some cauliflower rice and veggies!
In the freezer: Bring the grilled chicken to room temperature, then transfer it to a freeze-safe airtight container or freezer bag. It'll stay good in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating: The best way to reheat the chicken to keep it nice and juicy is in the oven. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Place the chicken in a baking dish with a splash of water or chicken stock and cover it securely with aluminum foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
More Chicken Recipes
- Grilled chicken margherita
- Italian baked chicken
- Grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Baked chicken and potatoes
- Cheese-stuffed chicken breast
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breasts or chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- Add Greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add chicken and make sure it is well coated. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 425°F.
- Add chicken onto the grill and cook for 6-7 minutes per side or until the inner temperature at the thickest part reaches 165°F.
- Serve chicken warm with desired sides.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 34g