This baked chicken and potatoes recipe is hearty, flavorful, and what I think is the perfect comfort food meal. Lately, it's been one of my go-to weeknight dinner recipes, and I just know you'll love it too!
Table of Contents
My Take On Baked Chicken and Potatoes
I've always been a meat and potatoes guy, and this baked chicken and potatoes is one of my favorite combinations. I mean, I love chicken, potatoes, and sheet pan dinners, so this recipe is a win all around.
It has chicken thighs and cubed potatoes tossed in a blend of melted butter, olive oil, garlic, and mixed spices. That's all baked in the same pan until the chicken is super juicy and tender while the potatoes are firm on the outside yet fluffy on the inside.
Sounds delicious, right?!
I love making this recipe for busy weeknight dinners, but it's flavorful enough to serve when I'm hosting and need a meal that'll impress. I typically serve it with a salad since it's so hearty, but it goes really well with any sides you want!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
It's a one sheet pan dinner. This whole recipe comes together with just one pan, so everything will be ready at the same time. It's so convenient!
Makes great leftovers. I'm a fan of a dish that offers flexibility, and this chicken and potatoes dish fits the bill. You can make it fresh for dinner or meal prep and enjoy it all week long!
A winning combination. Roasted chicken with crispy potatoes is a combination of flavors and textures that fit perfectly together. It's absolutely delicious!
- Potatoes- use your favorite ones! I use diced Russet potatoes.
- Chicken- I like to use chicken things and drumsticks for more flavor.
- Butter- melted to coat the chicken and the potatoes.
- Olive oil- mixed with the butter for coating.
- Garlic cloves- minced to add a delicious savory flavor.
- Mixed spices- I used paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.
How To Make Baked Chicken and Potatoes
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, olive oil, mixed spices - paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper - and minced garlic.
2. Season: Add the potatoes and chicken to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the melted butter and spice mixture on top and use your hands to evenly coat them in the sauce. Transfer everything to the prepared pan and spread it out if there's room.
3. Bake and serve: Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are fork-tender. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
My Pro Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- I've made this recipe with boneless chicken breasts before, and it turned out great, so don't worry if you don't want to use chicken thighs.
- Season everything in the baking dish so you have one less dish to wash.
- I like to add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the chicken right before serving to add a little extra flavor.
- Add veggies to the baking dish, like sliced bell peppers, onion, green beans, or broccoli, for a healthier meal. Just make sure you use a larger enough one so everything has some space.
How I Recommend Storing This Recipe
In the fridge: You can store all of the leftovers in an airtight container together in the fridge for up to 4 days.
In the freezer: Transfer the leftovers to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 6 months.
Reheating: I always put the leftovers back in a greased baking pan and warm them in the oven at 350°F for 12-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave single servings in 20-second intervals until they're warmed through. The microwave is a quicker method, but I don't love the texture it gives the chicken.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe with chicken breast?
Absolutely! You won't have to bake the chicken as long and will want to check on it around the 45-minute mark. You'll know it's done when the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
What are the best potatoes to use?
I like to use Russet potatoes and cut them into cubes, but really any potatoes will work. I've made this recipe with baby potatoes cut into quarters, and that works really well too.
What can I serve with chicken and potatoes?
More Chicken Recipes To Try Next
- Crustless chicken pot pie
- Chicken cutlets
- Buffalo chicken soup
- Chicken tenders
- Yogurt marinated chicken
- Grilled chicken margherita
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 chicken things and drumsticks
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. each of mixed spices (paprika, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, olive oil, mixed spices, and minced garlic.
- Add the chicken and potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the sauce on top and mix with your hands.
- Place the chicken and potatoes on a 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite salad or side.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 2 chicken pieces and potatoes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 18.3gSaturated Fat: 6.1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 36.4gFiber: 5.5gSugar: 2.6gProtein: 29.3g