These tender, juicy bone in chicken breasts make the perfect healthy dinner that doesn't compromise on flavor. It's a really easy recipe to make, too, prepared to bake in just a few minutes with a handful of simple ingredients.
Table of Contents
My Take On Baked Bone In Chicken Breasts
This easy bone in chicken recipe is one of my go-to meals when I want something that's high in protein and on the healthier side. It's packed with flavor from the perfect balance of seasonings, and the combination between the tender, juicy meat, and crispy skin adds a whole extra layer of deliciousness.
In addition to tasting great, making roasted chicken breasts with this recipe is simple and effortless. The chicken is ready with just a few minutes of prep time, and the rest of the time is spent letting it bake in the oven.
Even though it's so easy, my wife Alyssa and I think this tastes like something you'd get from a restaurant. After one bite, you'll see why! We like to make this keto cauliflower mash for a side, but you can really make anything you want to go with it, and it'll be amazing.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Mostly hands-off. Just season the chicken, pour the chicken stock on top, and let it bake in the oven. Since the oven does the heavy lifting, all you have to do is slice and serve!
Great for meal prep and large groups. You can easily make a double or triple batch of this recipe and enjoy it all week long or feed a hungry crowd. Since the split chicken breasts go so well with virtually any side, you can make a ton of meals with it.
Versatile. There's plenty of room to tweak this recipe with your favorite seasonings to add variety to your meals or to satisfy picky eaters.
- Melted butter- I like to use unsalted butter, so I have more control over the amount of sodium in the dish. This can also be swapped for olive oil for an even healthier baked chicken recipe.
- Bone in chicken breasts (split chicken breasts)- I used bone in skin on chicken breasts to add an extra rich flavor.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
- Italian herbs- for the perfect blend of seasonings.
- Garlic powder- for a touch of umami goodness.
- Chicken stock- to help the chicken stay nice and juicy. I like to use low sodium stock.
How To Cook Bone In Chicken Breast
1. Prep work: Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Brush the chicken breasts with butter, then season the breasts with salt, pepper, herbs, and garlic powder. Make sure to cover all over the sides and under the chicken skin.
2. Bake the chicken: Transfer the chicken to a baking dish and pour the chicken stock around the chicken. Make sure not to pour it on top of the chicken so the seasonings stay on. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
3. Rest and serve: Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Then, serve with baked potatoes or anything you want, and enjoy!
What Can I Serve With This Recipe?
My Pro Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Pat the chicken completely dry with a paper towel before starting the recipe. This will help the seasoning stick to the skin and get even crispier skin.
- Don't skip the 5-minute rest time. This will help the chicken stay nice and juicy. I know it's tempting to dig right in, but have patience.
- The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken, so check periodically with a meat thermometer and remove the chicken from the oven when it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
How I Recommend Storing and Reheating The Chicken
In the fridge: Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
In the freezer: Allow leftover chicken to cool completely, then store it in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: I like to put the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake it again at 350°F for 10 minutes. You can microwave it in 30-second intervals until warm for a quicker method, but I don't like the texture it gives the chicken.
More Chicken Recipes To Make Next
- Baked chicken breast
- Italian baked chicken
- Baked chicken tenders
- Roasted chicken and veggies
- Baked BBQ chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 pair of bone-in chicken breasts, split in two
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tablespoon Italian herbs, dried
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Potatoes, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F and take out a baking dish.
- Brush the chicken with melted butter.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, herbs, and garlic powder, all over the sides and under the skin. Put the chicken in the baking dish.
- Pour the stock around the chicken in the dish.
- Put it in the oven and bake the chicken for 45-50 minutes or until the temperature of the thickest part reaches 165F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with potatoes or anything else you want.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 piece of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 23.9Total Fat: 8.7gSaturated Fat: 8.7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 577mgCarbohydrates: 0.6gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 38.3g