This Chick-fil-A soup recipe combines everything you love about Chick-fil-A's chicken tortilla soup, but it is made entirely from scratch in the comfort of your own home. It's beyond flavorful, with every bite tasting better than the last, and it's truly easy to make!
If you love Chick-fil-A, you probably know they lowkey have some of the best chicken tortilla soup around. It's my personal favorite, so I had to recreate the delicious chicken soup. Now, I may be biased, but I think I did a pretty good job!
Tender peppers and onions are sautéed with an assortment of spics, then simmered with beans in a creamy tomato sauce. Finished off with a garnish of crispy tortilla strips and fresh lime juice, it's seriously one of the best chicken soup recipes ever!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Chick-Fil-A Soup Recipe
It's a one-pot soup recipe. Just like my turkey noodle soup, all you need is one pot to make this delicious soup. That means prep time is kept to a minimum, and so is cleanup!
The broth. The secret to this recipe is the flavorful broth. Tomatoes provide essential acidity, which gets perfectly balanced with a dash of sugar. Heavy cream and sour cream combine to make a rich, creamy broth that adds a whole layer of flavor and texture.
Foolproof. Even if you don't do most of the cooking in your house, I guarantee you'll have no trouble making this recipe. If I can do it, you can do it!
Makes great leftovers. As good as this soup is straight out of the pot, it makes even better leftovers the next day when the flavors have had the time to mesh together.
- Olive oil- to sauté the peppers and onions.
- Onion and red bell peppers- essential base for a hearty soup.
- Garlic powder- for subtle garlic flavor.
- Salt and black pepper- just a pinch to taste.
- Ground cumin- for a savory, earthy note.
- Chili powder- for a touch of heat.
- Sugar- to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Chopped tomatoes- to thicken and flavor the broth.
- Jalapeño- for a subtle spicy kick. Use more if you prefer.
- Chicken stock- the base for the broth.
- Beans- both navy beans and black beans, rinsed, drained, and split the navy beans in half.
- Corn- for texture and a subtle sweet flavor.
- Chicken- cooked and shredded. Leftovers work perfectly!
- Heavy cream- to thicken the broth and add a creamy element.
- Sour cream- to add a subtle tangy, creamy flavor.
- Lime juice- to brighten the soup and amplify the rest of the ingredients.
- Tortilla strips and lime wedges- for garnish.
How To Make Chick-Fil-A Chicken Tortilla Soup
1. Cook peppers and onions: Heat olive oil in a large saucepot. Add onion and red bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes.
2. Add spices: To the pot, add cumin, chili powder, sugar, chopped tomatoes, and jalapeños. Stir well to combine.
3. Add beans and chicken: Add the chicken stock, half of the navy beans, black beans, corn, and chicken. Mash the remaining navy beans in a small bowl. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer and continue cooking for 30 minutes.
4. Temper the sour cream: In a small bowl, combine the sour cream with some of the soup broth so it doesn't curdle. Add the mashed navy beans to the soup along with the sour cream and heavy cream. Stir well to combine.
5. Serve: Squeeze the fresh lime juice in the soup, then serve warm with tortilla strips and lime wedges, and enjoy!
Recipe Variations To Try
- Add extra veggies like celery, peas, carrots, or broccoli to make an even healthier soup.
- Cut the veggies to the same size so they cook evenly.
- Taste as you go and adjust any seasonings as necessary.
- Make a roux with melted butter and flour whisked together to thicken the soup.
- Substitute the cooked chicken for leftover rotisserie chicken, turkey, or whatever protein you have on hand.
- Make chicken noodle soup by stirring in cooked pasta noodles. Cooked rice works great as well!
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of Better than Boullion chicken flavor for that extra subtle layer of flavor. Trust me, everyone will notice, but no one will know your secret!
Storing and Reheating Instructions
Store any leftover chicken soup in an airtight container, and you can keep it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Allow the leftover soup to cool completely, then transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
My favorite way to reheat this chicken soup is on the stove. Just transfer the leftovers to a pot, cook it over medium heat, and stir occasionally until it's warmed through. You can also microwave the soup in 30-second intervals, stirring in between each one to warm it up.
More Soup Recipes
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Broccoli cheese soup
- Chicken enchilada soup
- Buffalo chicken soup
- Tomato soup
- 15 Bean soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 8oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 15oz. can navy beans, rinsed, drained, divided
- 8oz. can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 8oz. frozen corn thawed
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Tortilla strips, lime wedges, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a saucepot. Add onion and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring for 5-6 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili, sugar, a can of chopped tomatoes, and jalapenos. Stir well.
- Add chicken stock, half the navy beans, black beans, corn, and chicken. Mash the remaining navy beans.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer the soup for 30 minutes.
- Combine sour cream with some of the cooking stock to temper it so it does not curdle.
- Add mashed navy beans back to the soup, along with sour cream and heavy cream. Stir well. Squeeze in lime juice and serve the soup warm with tortilla strips and lime wedges.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 496Total Fat: 22.4gSaturated Fat: 7.8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 1156mgCarbohydrates: 53.3gFiber: 12.4gSugar: 8.9gProtein: 24.6g