This healthy low calorie zucchini bread is so fluffy and moist with a perfectly sweet flavor. It honestly tastes just like regular zucchini bread, but each slice has only 110 calories!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe
It's low sugar. Not only is this healthy zucchini bread recipe low in calories, but it's super low in sugar, too. But you'd never guess by delicious it is!
It's versatile. Something I love about this zucchini bread is it can be enjoyed as breakfast, dessert, or even as a post-workout snack. Whenever I make it, I typically have a slice for breakfast and dessert! Trust me, you'll want to eat it all the time!
A family favorite. Even the pickiest eater in your house will be reaching for a slice. I personally love serving this to my kids as a healthy sweet treat, and they never know they're eating vegetables.
Only 10 minutes of preparation. That's right, only ten minutes of prep time is all this recipe needs so you can whip up this zucchini bread lickety split.
Ingredients For Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Shredded Zucchini - one large zucchini, squeezed dry to prevent sogginess
- Coconut oil - a great healthy alternative to butter
- Sugar free syrup - for a touch of sweetness. I used my keto maple syrup.
- Egg - one large egg
- Greek yogurt - to give the bread that moist texture
- Vanilla extract - for that rich, warm flavor
- Whole wheat pastry flour - the ideal flour for fluffiness
- Baking powder - to give the bread some softness
- Cinnamon - just a touch is all you'll need
- Dark chocolate chips - optional, but oh-so-good.
How To Make Low Calorie Zucchini Bread
1. Prepare your zucchini. You'll want to start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Then, use a box grater to shred the zucchini into a large mixing bowl. Once shredded, you'll want to squeeze all of the excess moisture out so the bread doesn't become soggy. I then like to pat the grated zucchini with a paper towel to make sure it's nice and dry.
2. Add your wet ingredients. Once the zucchini is squeezed dry, add the coconut oil, syrup, egg, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Stir the mixture well so everything is evenly combined.
3. Fold in the dry ingredients. Mix in the whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. You'll want to stir until the bread mixture is nice and smooth.
4. Transfer into a loaf pan. If you are adding chocolate chips, you can gently fold those into the bread batter. Then, pour the mixture into a prepared loaf pan.
5. Bake it up. Put the zucchini bread in the oven and bake it for 35-40 minutes. When time is up, I like to insert a knife into the center of the loaf to test the bread's consistency. If the center comes out clean, the bread is ready. Allow the loaf to cool completely before slicing.
Low Calorie Zucchini Bread Recipe Variations
- If you don't have pastry flour, you can substitute it for regular whole wheat flour or gluten free flour with some cornstarch. Use 1 cup of wheat or gluten-free flour along with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch for every cup of pastry flour.
- For the Greek yogurt, use one of these high protein yogurt options to add in some protein, or one of these low sugar yogurts for the lowest calorie zucchini bread.
- Experiment with some additional flavors by adding chopped walnuts, mini chocolate chips, or orange zest.
- Easily transform this zucchini bread recipe into mini muffins by dividing the batter into a mini muffin pan. This is a great solution for when you need a quick breakfast or snack on the go.
Storing and Reheating Zucchini Bread
In the fridge. This zucchini bread will store great in the fridge, and you can keep it fresh for 4-5 days. You can either wrap the loaf in plastic wrap or transfer it into an airtight container.
In the freezer. To store this bread for longer, I recommend using a freezer-safe container or wrapping the loaf or slices in plastic wrap and storing it in a freezer-safe bag. The bread can then be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating. If you need to reheat individual slices, I recommend using the microwave and heating the slices in intervals of 10 seconds until it has reached the desired temperature. If you are reheating an entire loaf that has been frozen, allow the bread to defrost and bake on a tray lined with parchment paper. You'll want to bake the zucchini bread at 325°F for roughly 10 minutes or until the bread is warm.
More Low Calorie Recipes
- Low calorie ice cream
- Low calorie brownies
- Low calorie pancakes
- Low calorie banana bread
- Low calorie blueberry muffins
- Low calorie chocolate chip cookies
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed well
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup sugar free syrup
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Squeeze zucchinis using a clean cloth. Add zucchini into a bowl.
- Add coconut oil, low-calorie syrup, egg, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.
- Fold in whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Finally, add some chocolate chips and transfer the mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake the zucchini bread for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool the bread before slicing and serving.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 4g