This two-ingredient frozen yogurt recipe is wonderfully sweet, creamy, and refreshing. It's the perfect easy dessert recipe whenever you're craving ice cream and want something a little healthier.
Table of Contents
The Best Frozen Yogurt Recipe
This homemade frozen yogurt ice cream recipe is especially a family favorite of ours in the summertime.
If you love getting froyo, just wait until you get a taste of this stuff! It has the same rich and creamy consistency of ice cream but it has the sweet and slightly tangy flavor of yogurt. In one word, it's delicious!
It's also super easy to make too. In fact, just 5 minutes is all it takes to prep. Then, the rest of the process is basically all hands off. You just have to wait for your yogurt to freeze.
By the way, if you're interested in making even more healthy frozen dessert recipes - just like this one - I have a ton of sugar free ice cream recipes you can try next.
Here are a few of my favorites:
- Almond milk ice cream
- Keto strawberry ice cream
- Low carb butter pecan ice cream
- Mason jar peanut butter ice cream
Why This Recipe Works
It's super easy and requires no churning. Yep, you read that right, this is a no churn frozen yogurt recipe. There are actually three different ways to make this frozen yogurt recipe, and two of them don't require an ice cream machine or an ice cream maker!
It's super customizable. Add different mix-ins or toppings to create the frozen yogurt of your dreams. A few of my favorite additions are a flavored protein powder and some frozen fruit - usually bananas. I just find that adding both of these ingredients just makes for an even creamier homemade frozen yogurt experience.
Family favorite. Both kids and adults love this frozen yogurt, so it'll be a hit with the whole family any time you make it!
As I said before, you only need two ingredients - plus optional toppings - to make this easy frozen yogurt recipe!
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- ½ cup powdered sugar or desired sweetener
- Strawberries and coarsely ground hazelnut brittle (optional)
By the way, if you want some healthy Greek yogurt options for this recipe, you can check out my lists of the best high protein yogurts and low calorie yogurts! There are a ton of Greek yogurt options on 'em.
How To Make Frozen Yogurt
1. Prepare the yogurt mixture: Mix the Greek yogurt and powdered sugar - or sugar substitute like powdered monk fruit sweetener - in a bowl until fully combined.
2A. Freeze the yogurt: Transfer the sweetened yogurt mixture to a freezer-safe container and place it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, stir the yogurt to prevent large ice crystals from forming as it freezes.
2B. Use an ice cream machine: If you have an ice cream maker at home, you can use it to churn the sweetened yogurt mixture into a creamy semi-solid texture.
2C. Freeze and blend: Divide the yogurt mixture into ice cube trays. Freeze them for around 3 hours or until firm, then blend the frozen yogurt cubes in a blender or food processor until smooth.
3. Scoop and serve: Scoop your homemade frozen yogurt into ice cream bowls and serve with fresh strawberries and ground hazelnut brittle.
- Peanut butter: Mix ¼ cup of peanut butter with the yogurt.
- Chocolate: Mix in a ¼ cup of cocoa powder and top the chocolate frozen yogurt with chocolate chips and sea salt flakes. Just don't forget to add a touch more sweetness to your frozen yogurt if you go this route as the cocoa powder will add a little bitterness to your froyo.
- Fruit: Blend the yogurt with frozen bananas, strawberries, blueberries, or any other fruit of your choice.
- Salted caramel: Mix ¼ cup of this keto caramel sauce and a ⅛ teaspoon of sea salt with the yogurt base.
Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Sweeten the frozen yogurt more by adding a tablespoon of honey, pure maple syrup, or liquid allulose.
- Use whole milk yogurt or full fat Greek yogurt for a creamier frozen yogurt with a soft serve ice cream consistency.
- Add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract for more flavor.
- Use non-dairy yogurt to make vegan frozen yogurt.
FAQs About This Frozen Yogurt Recipe
How long does frozen yogurt last in the freezer?
You can store this homemade frozen yogurt in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Is frozen yogurt actually healthy?
Yes, frozen yogurt has a ton of health benefits, like being high in probiotics that support gut health and immunity. It's also super high in calcium and protein. With that said though, you'll want to pick a store-bought frozen yogurt that has minimal added sugars. Many of the storebought kinds are loaded with empty calories/carbs.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- ½ cup powdered sugar or desired 0 calorie sweetener (I used confectioner swerve)
- Strawberries and coarsely ground hazelnut brittle for topping (optional)
- Combine Greek yogurt and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-friendly container and pop it into the freezer. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes to prevent the ice crystals from forming. The other option is to churn the ice cream in an ice cream machine. And for the third option, you can divide the mixture between ice cube trays and freeze it until firm. Once firm, blend the frozen yogurt until smooth.
- Scoop and serve ice cream in bowls. Top with fresh strawberries and ground hazelnut brittle or any toppings you want.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 Cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 146mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 3gSugar: 44gProtein: 27g